How to apply
From July 17th 2017 applications will be done solely through Portsmouth City Council (the academy will no longer be able to accept direct applications).
There are two ways to apply for a year 7 place for 2019:
- Online through the School Admissions website - Please note for In-Year applications you are unable to apply online and must download the admissions form from the PCC website.
- By completing a paper application form which you can obtain from the Portsmouth City Council admissions team on 023 9268 8008 or download from their website
Please note there is a supplementary form for Charter Academy.
Charter Academy Admissions
Charter Academy is a non-selective school for local children. If the academy is oversubscribed, priority will be given to students with statements of special educational needs, where the academy is named on the statement. The remaining places will then be offered in the following order of priority:
- Looked after children and previously looked after children.
- Children of staff of the school where there is a demonstrable skill shortage
- Children who have a sibling who already attends the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission (for this purpose “sibling” means a whole, half or step-brother or -sister resident at the same address).
- Children of staff of the school (where there is no skill shortage).
- Pupils who live in the catchment area for the Academy (see the policy for definition).
- Children currently attending one of the following primary schools within the catchment area: St. Jude’s CE Primary School/ Cottage Grove Primary School/Arundel Court Junior School/ Flying Bull Primary School/ ARK Dickens Primary Academy/ ARK Ayrton Primary Academy/ St. George’s Beneficial CE Primary School.
- Straight line distance measurement.
The full admissions policy for 2019/20 is available in the previous section titled "Charter Academy Admissions".
For in-year admissions, please see our 2018/19 policy.
This policy was amended on 16 December 2015 with the authorisation of the Education Funding Agency to clarify that applicants within the catchment area would be prioritised by straight line distance from the school.
The academy keeps a waiting list which is used to fill casual vacancies occurring if students leave during the year, or withdraw from a place that has been offered.
The academy coordinates in-year admissions for students wishing to join the school mid-year. Parents/guardians should apply via Portsmouth City Council.
If your application is unsuccessful, your child will be place on the waiting list in accordance with the oversubscription criteria found in the admissions policy.
Admissions Officer - Mrs Dymott
phone: 02392 824204
Uniform may be purchased through the website using the Wisepay link at the top of the page and collected from Pupil Services once it arrives.
Uniform Price List (as from 01/09/2018)
Striped Blouses £10.00
Charter Academy Skirts £16.00
P E Polo Shirt £9.00
P E Sweatshirts £8.00 (optional)
Document Bag £13.00
P E Bag £4.00
Appeals for children refused a place at a preferred school for admission to Year 7 in September will be heard in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code (2012).
|Offer date||Deadline for lodging an appeal|
|Secondary||1 March 2019||29 March 2019|
‘On-time’ appeals will be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Mid-year appeals must be heard within 30 school days of receipt of the appeal.
Parents/carers will be notified of their appeal date by Portsmouth City Council.
Any additional evidence parents/carers wish to submit in support of their appeal must be sent to Portsmouth City Council at least 5 working days before the hearing. Any evidence not submitted by this deadline might not be considered by the independent appeal panel.
If you wish to appeal for a place in Year 7, please click here for the secondary appeal form.