Additional Year 7 places for September 2017
In support of our partnership with PCC and their pupil forecast, Charter Academy is pleased to offer a further 60 places in our Year 7 cohort starting September 2017.
If you wish to apply for one of these places please contact PCC admissions or the Academy directly.
PCC Admissions Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 02392 688008
Charter Academy Email: email@example.com Phone: 02392 824204
How to apply
Applications for September 2017 are closed. For mid-term applications please contact the school directly.
There are two ways to apply for a year 7 place for 2017:
- Online through the School Admissions website
- By completing a paper application form which you can obtain from the Portsmouth City Council admissions team on 023 9268 8008 or download from their website
Please note there is a supplementary form for Charter Academy.
Charter Academy Admissions
Charter Academy is a non-selective school for local children. If the academy is oversubscribed, priority will be given to students with statements of special educational needs, where the academy is named on the statement. The remaining places will then be offered in the following order of priority:
- Looked after children and previously looked after children.
- Children of staff of the school where there is a demonstrable skill shortage
- Children who have a sibling who already attends the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission (for this purpose “sibling” means a whole, half or step-brother or -sister resident at the same address).
- Children of staff of the school (where there is no skill shortage).
- Pupils who live in the catchment area for the Academy (see the policy for definition).
- Children currently attending one of the following primary schools within the catchment area: St. Jude’s CE Primary School/ Cottage Grove Primary School/Arundel Court Junior School/ Flying Bull Primary School/ ARK Dickens Primary Academy/ ARK Ayrton Primary Academy/ St. George’s Beneficial CE Primary School.
- Straight line distance measurement.
The full admissions policy for 2017/18 is available in the previous section titled "Charter Academy Admissions 2017/18".
This policy was amended on 16 December 2015 with the authorisation of the Education Funding Agency to clarify that applicants within the catchment area would be prioritised by straight line distance from the school.
The academy keeps a waiting list which is used to fill casual vacancies occurring if students leave during the year, or withdraw from a place that has been offered.
The academy coordinates in-year admissions for students wishing to join the school mid-year. Parents/guardians should apply directly to the school; please first read the guidance notes, and then complete the application form.
We will endeavour to process your application within 7 days. If your application is unsuccessful, your child will be place on the waiting list in accordance with the oversubscription criteria found in the admissions policy.
Uniform may be purchased through the website using the Wisepay link at the top of the page and collected from Pupil Services once it arrives.
Uniform Price List (as from 08/11/2014)
Striped Blouses £10.00
P E Polo Shirt £9.00
P E Sweatshirts £8.00 (optional)
Document Bag £13.00
P E Bag £4.00
Appeals for children refused a place at a preferred school for admission to Year 7 or Reception class in September will be heard in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code (2012).
|Offer date||Deadline for lodging an appeal|
|Secondary||1 March 2017||19 April 2017|
|after 19 April 2017 (late appeals)|
‘On-time’ appeals will be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Mid-year appeals must be heard within 30 school days of receipt of the appeal.
Parents/carers will be notified of their appeal date by an external agency engaged by the Ark network.
Any additional evidence parents/carers wish to submit in support of their appeal must be sent to the external agency at least 5 working days before the hearing. Any evidence not submitted by this deadline might not be considered by the independent appeal panel.
If you wish to appeal for a place in Year 7, please click here for the secondary appeal form.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or the academy if you need a paper form.