FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What are the entry requirements for an A Level programme?
You must achieve a B grade or better in your chosen A Level subject.
For a 3 A Level programme, entry criteria are:
• Mostly B and C at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade C in GCSE English and Mathematics
For a 4 A Level programme, entry criteria are:
• Mostly B or better at GCSE
• You should have at least a grade B in GCSE English and Mathematics
• Students choosing Mathematics and Further Mathematics will need to get at least an A in GCSE Mathematics.
Some subjects have additional entry requirements, such as science subjects - see the subject pages for further information.
2. I started studying A Levels somewhere else but didn't complete them. Can I study A Levels at Charter Academy Sixth Form College?
Yes - although we would want to know the reasons why you did not complete them and we would also take your GCSE exam results into consideration.
3. I have studied AS Levels at another sixth form. Can I transfer to Charter Academy to complete my A2 year?
We have a number of students who transfer to Charter from other school sixth forms and colleges, every year. Being able to transfer to us depends on which exam boards you are currently studying with and the subject content that you have already covered during your AS year.
4. What is the structure of the week at 6th form?
You will be required to attend school from Monday to Friday. Each day, you will have lessons as well as free periods on your timetable. When you are not in lessons, you will have the opportunity to study independently in the 6th form building or receive additional learning support from your teacher if needed.
5. What enrichment opportunities are available?
6th formers have 4 hours of enrichment every week where they can engage in physical activities such as sailing, boat building and boxing. You can also take part in in community-based activities such as charity and voluntary work, whether in school or the local community. In the summer term, you will have a two week work experience placement, which the 6th form team will help organise according to your career aspirations.
6. What is the 6th form dress code?
7. What assistance will be provided to help with university applications?
The academy provides advice on career paths and university courses throughout the year. Enrichment activities and work experience placements help our students develop a broad range of skills.
For students applying to study medicine and veterinary studies, Charter Academy provides specialist support with preparation for the UKCAT and BMAT aptitude tests.