How to apply
There are two ways to apply for a year 7 place for 2022:
- Online through the School Admissions website - Please note for In-Year applications you are unable to apply online and must download the admissions form from the PCC website.
- By completing a paper application form which you can obtain from the Portsmouth City Council admissions team on 023 9268 8008 or download from their website
Please note there is a supplementary form for Charter Academy.
Charter Academy Admissions
Charter Academy is a non-selective school for local children. If the academy is oversubscribed, priority will be given to students with statements of special educational needs, where the academy is named on the statement. The remaining places will then be offered in the following order of priority:
- ‘Looked After Children’ and children who have previously been a ‘Looked After Child’ but immediately following this became subject to adoption, a child arrangements order or special guardianship order, including those who appear (to Ark Schools) to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted
- Children who are eligible for the Service Pupil Premium.
- Children of staff of the school where there is a demonstrable skill shortage
- Children who have a sibling who already attends the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission (for this purpose “sibling” means a whole, half or step-brother or -sister resident at the same address).
- Children of staff of the school (where there is no skill shortage).
- Children attending one of the following primary schools at the time of application:
- Ark Ayrton Primary Academy (URN: 139713)
- Ark Dickens Primary Academy (URN: 141020)
- St George’s Beneficial CE Primary School (URN: 116346)
- St Jude’s CE Primary School (URN: 116344)
- Pupils who live in the catchment area for the Academy (see the policy for definition).
- Children living outside the catchment area but attend one of the following primary schools at the time of application:
- Arundel Court Primary Academy (URN: 144194)
- Cottage Grove Primary School (URN: 116203)
- The Flying Bull Academy (URN: 140719)
- Straight line distance measurement.
The full admissions policy for 2021/22 is available in the previous section titled "Charter Academy Admissions".
For in-year admissions, please see our 2021/22 policy.
The academy coordinates in-year admissions for students wishing to join the school mid-year. Parents/guardians should apply via Portsmouth City Council.
If your application is unsuccessful, your child will be place on the waiting list in accordance with the oversubscription criteria found in the admissions policy.
Admissions Officer - Mrs Gosling
phone: 02392 824204
Appeals for children refused a place at a preferred school for admission to Year 7 in September will be heard in line with the School Admissions Appeals Code (2012).
|Offer date||Deadline for lodging an appeal|
|Secondary||1 March 2022||20 working days after offer date|
‘On-time’ appeals will be heard within 40 school days of the deadline for lodging appeals. Appeals lodged after these dates will be heard within 40 school days of the appeal deadline or 30 school days of being lodged, whichever is the later date.
Mid-year appeals must be heard within 30 school days of receipt of the appeal.
Parents/carers will be notified of their appeal date by Portsmouth City Council.
Any additional evidence parents/carers wish to submit in support of their appeal must be sent to Portsmouth City Council at least 5 working days before the hearing. Any evidence not submitted by this deadline might not be considered by the independent appeal panel.
If you wish to appeal for a place in Year 7, please click here for the secondary appeal form.