At Charter Academy, we believe that students should be given a wide range of opportunities to develop and practise leadership skills in preparation for life beyond school. Students and staff work together to identify and develop leadership potential, which benefit both student and the whole school environment. Student Leadership activities will focus on improving the quality of learning and teaching in the classroom, supporting the school’s aim to be a place where everyone enjoys learning and is creative, trying new things, finding solutions and embracing the ethos of Courage, Justice and Respect.
Aims of our Student Leadership Programme
- To empower students to work in partnership with staff towards shared goals.
- To enable creativity to flourish as the school community benefits from the wealth of experiences, ideas, skills and sense of fun that students bring.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop leadership skills through a variety of inspiring, challenging and valued projects which impact positively on learning, teaching and well-being for both students and staff at Charter Academy.
- To prepare students for Higher Education and for achieving personal and professional excellence in life after formal education
Our Student Leadership programme provides:
- Formal and informal learning opportunities to develop individuals as leaders.
- Processes and structures for student representation and the incorporation of students’ views into decision making in the life of the school.
Charter Academy will:
- Provide a Student Leadership badge/ tie so they can be easily identified around school site by all members of the community
- Provide a wide range of participation and leadership opportunities which cater for all students in the school.
- Maximise the number and range of students undertaking leadership roles.
- Provide recognition of all Student Leadership roles
- Encourage the development of student participation and leadership skills through classroom practice by using the skills developed with in the Character curriculum across all Key Stages
- Encourage students to differentiate between student participation and Student Leadership.
- Provide students with access to key staff for support and guidance
- Develop student participation and leadership skills in all students through specific programmes
- Develop ways to ensure gender equity.
- Celebrate the achievements of all students in written and verbal forms